Monday, October 20, 2014

Day Four - The Last Day

Sunday consisted of a final wrap up, hugs, and promises of future outings, both in the form of service and friendship. Part of final reflection ended with our wonderful participants sharing their favorite moment from the trip!

Throughout the week I have seen the influence that our team has marked on one another’s lives. Without the members of the AFB team I would not have embraced the experience as much as I did. I can see the love that we share for both passion and one another as we come out of the circle doing the Taps activity. I have instilled a want to impact people more because I am aware of the intertwined circle that the city of Knoxville has, even though it is so large. -Ana Casey

This fall break trip has really shed a lot of light on how I now view people in need. I used to think that being homeless was never going to happen to me, but now I know that it could happen to anyone. This trip has taught me how you should never look down or judge, just help and try to make a difference in their lives because in a few years that could possible be me. It was such an eye opening experience; I’m never going to forget it and all of the wonderful people I was fortunate enough to meet.

As I sit here in the Andy Holt building wrapping up my AFB trip I am overcome with a wide variety of emotions. On one hand I am smelly, feel gross, and am so tired I could pass out right here. On the other hand I am overcome with this sense of peace and pride at all that my amazing team has done and accomplished this week. We have spent the morning reaffirming each other through our team building games and through the sharing of memories and laughs. I don’t ever want to lose this feeling, it’s the first of what I am sure will be many times that I will say I am so proud to be a Tennessee Vol!
-Elizabeth Hamilton

I am so overjoyed that I was lucky enough to be able to join this journey with this particular group of people. I have never been around so many positive minded, free spirited, and genuine people before. This trip has shed a lot of light on the needs of my new home, Knoxville, and I cannot wait to begin volunteering more here and digging deeper into my community. I have made friends that will last a lifetime and experiences that I will never forget.
-Emily Moore

Wow, this break has been so eye-opening and touching. One thing I really found interesting was how so many organizations we visited made the peoples’ pride and dignity a priority. The food banks were set up like a grocery store so they could go “shopping”, the residents at KARM got their own beds, etc. It was so touching to see these organizations strive to provide for their physical needs while maintaining that sense of pride and self-respect. This trip illustrated the importance of viewing each person as an equal, withholding judgment, and serving with selflessness and love. - Savannah DeFreese

I can honestly say that I’ve loved every minute of this trip. One of the biggest lessons I can take away from my Fall Break is how service involves more than the “hands-on” work of packing boxes and sorting cans. It is extremely important for us to understand why we are doing this kind of work and how the problem became as prevalent as it is today. If we don’t work towards thinking outside of the box and coming up with long-term improvements concerning the various issues in our community that go even beyond hunger and homelessness, our service efforts will not be nearly as beneficial and significant as they should be. -Lesley Schiffman

I am so lucky to have been able to go and experience this trip and work with my team. I have learned so much and it really is an eyeopener for me. Every work site we went to had great directors and great people who they served. Great trip! Great time! - Brittany Mason

This trip taught me that there are so many different ways to serve. We don’t have to be up and front to make a difference. Also, serving in our city made me realize the great need that need to be met here. It encouraged me to continue to volunteer in Knoxville! - Amber Tran

This trip taught me that the most simplest tasks can affect the lives of many directly or indirectly from painting the walls to uplift the moods of the individuals in need or actually being in the front-line assisting them. It was a great trip and i would definitely do it all over again!! Nothing could have made this trip better! -Shaina Huda

No comments:

Post a Comment